President Biden answered questions from reporters as he faced growing calls from within his own party to step aside from his re-election bid.
Biden declared, "I've gotta finish the job," but there was a noticeable slip when he mistakenly referred to Kamala Harris as Donald Trump.
President Joe Biden, under scrutiny as Democrats debate his political future, aimed to demonstrate that he is best suited to take on Donald Trump this November and complete what he's started in a second term.
In a nearly hour-long solo press conference, Biden faced a room full of reporters for the first time since his poor debate performance two weeks ago, which sparked concerns within his party about his mental fitness and ability to continue his campaign.
Almost all questions directed at the president focused on these issues, with Biden defending his cognitive health and his belief in Vice President Kamala Harris's capability to assume the presidency if necessary.
The president firmly stated that he is the most qualified person to face Trump.
"I beat him once, and I will beat him again," Biden said.
Here are several key takeaways from Biden's press conference:
The Gaffes Continue Answering the night's first question, Biden made a glaring error by confusing Vice President Kamala Harris with Trump.
"Look, I wouldn't have picked Vice President Trump to be vice president if I didn't think that she's not qualified to be president, so let's start there, number one," Biden said when asked if he had concerns about Harris's ability to beat Trump if she ever led the ticket.
He also addressed a mistake made earlier Thursday during the NATO summit when he introduced Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy as "President Putin."
A reporter asked him about the blunder and whether, along with reports that world leaders privately expressed concerns about his age, America's standing on the world stage was being damaged.
"Do you see any damage by me leading this conference?" Biden responded. "Have you seen a more successful conference? I was talking about Putin and I said -- at the very end -- I said, 'Putin. I'm sorry, Zelenskyy.'"
Biden: 'I've Gotta Finish the Job' Biden acknowledged the importance of addressing fears and plans to do so by letting the American people see him on the campaign trail, making the case for why he should get a second term.
He spent considerable time discussing gun violence, attacks on reproductive rights, and the broader dangers that he said a Trump presidency would pose.
"Do you think our democracy is under siege based on this (Supreme) Court? Do you think democracy is under siege based on Project 2025?" Biden asked. "Do you think he means what he says when he says he is going to do away with the civil service and eliminate the Department of Education?"
"I mean, we've never been here before," Biden said. "And that's the other reason why I didn't, as you say, 'hand off to another generation.' I've got to finish this job. I've got to finish this job. Because there's so much at stake."
Biden Says He Needs to 'Pace' Himself When asked about his ability to handle the 24/7 demands of the presidency, Biden said he needs to "pace myself a little more," but argued that he remains busier than his 2024 rival.
"Since I made that stupid mistake in the campaign -- in the debate, I mean, my schedule has been full-bore," Biden said.
"Where has Trump been? Riding on his golf cart and filling out his scorecard?" Biden asked. "He has done virtually nothing. I've had roughly 20 major events, some with thousands of people showing up."
Biden said he has always been inclined to "keep going" and that his staff is always adding events.
Biden Concedes Others Could Beat Trump but Argues He's Most Qualified Biden has long argued that he alone can defeat Trump after having done so in 2020.
"I think I am the best qualified -- I know -- I believe I'm the best qualified to govern," Biden said. "And I think I am the best qualified to win."
"But there are other people who could beat Trump, too," he acknowledged before quickly adding that it would be "hard" for Democrats to start from the beginning.
A reporter then followed up by asking Biden if he would reconsider his decision to stay in the race if his team showed him polling data indicating that Vice President Harris would fare better against Trump.
"No, unless they came back and said there is no way you could win. Me," Biden said. "No one's saying that. No poll says that."
Key moments from Biden's critical press conference - ABC NewsA new ABC News/Washington Post/Ipsos poll found that Biden continues to run evenly with Trump: Americans are divided 46-47% between Biden and Trump if the election were held today. Were Harris to replace Biden as the Democratic nominee, the poll found Harris leading Trump 49-46% among all adults and 49-47% among registered voters.
No comments:
Post a Comment