UFC 302 full results: Islam Makhachev retains belt with 5th-round submission of Dustin Poirier

 

Islam Makhachev won like a champion against Dustin Poirier. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)

In one of the most difficult reigns as UFCUFC lightweight champion, Islam Makhachev solidified his status as the promotion's top pound-for-pound fighter.

The Russian defended his title by defeating UFCUFC veteran Dustin Poirier with a fifth-round submission, despite the fight turning against him in the later rounds. Makhachev largely dominated on the ground but faced resistance on several takedown attempts and entered the fifth round with a nasty forehead cut.

The about seemed destined for an easier outcome when Makhachev struck Poirier in the first round, took him down and secured his back, spending the next four minutes seeking a choke or arm triangle. Poirier, however, fended off these attempts and began gaining momentum in the second round. While nearly unbeatable on the ground, Makhachev faced significant opposition from Poirier, who landed impactful strikes to keep the fight competitive.

With the Prudential Center crowd in Newark rallying behind the American underdog, an upset seemed plausible if Poirier could take the fifth round. Makhachev extinguished this threat with a D'Arce choke, soon celebrating with his corner as Poirier lay on the mat, either unconscious or close to it.

This victory was another testament to Makhachev's creativity and talent. Post-fight, he expressed his desire to compete for the UFCUFC welterweight crown, currently held by Leon Edwards. Makhachev has now defended his belt three times, with previous defenses against Alexander Volkanovski.

"It's my dream. I want to fight for the second belt. I want to feel that energy again because defending your belt is different I need a new one," Makhachev said.

As for Poirier, the 35-year-old hinted at retirement, though he wasn't entirely decided. This was his third attempt at the lightweight belt, with previous submission losses to Khabib Nurmagomedov, who was in Makhachev's corner, and Charles Oliveira.

"If I do fight again, what am I fighting for? To fight? I've done that 50 times," Poirier reflected. "I don't know. I've got a little girl I love; I must see. I think this could be it, honestly."

Here's how the entire UFCUFC 302 card unfolded—a great night if you enjoy wins by decision, some with utterly inscrutable from the referee's judgments.

No comments:

Post a Comment